Nourish Hair with a Good Diet
Hair is made of protein, particularly a tough protein called keratin (95%), and your hair craves protein, vitamins and minerals to remain healthy. For your best chance of having silky smooth mermaid hair ensure that you have a protein-rich diet of at least 45 – 55 grams of protein per day.
A low protein diet can result in weak, brittle hair, loss of hair colour, and loss of hair itself – diet plays a huge role in hair health!
DermaPro® Collagen is a great way to top up your daily protein intake because it’s packed with the essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals needed to keep your hair happy.
In particular, DermaPro® Collagen contains MSM, an organic sulphur compound and the building block of keratin which together with the amino acid Tyrosine, nourishes your hair’s strength, condition, texture and shine while accelerating its growth cycle.
Essential Nutrients for Hair
Low levels of Zinc, Vitamin B12, Iron, Vitamin C and Vitamin D can cause hair to shed, so it’s essential to keep these levels up.
Found in Brazil nuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans and cashews and because men require more zinc than women, you will discover added zinc in DermaPro® for men, which also supports normal testosterone levels and prostate health.
Found in red meat, edamame beans, red kidney beans and tree nuts
Is only found in animal protein which means those on a plant-based diet need to supplement.
Is found in DermaPro® and is equal to the amount of vitamin C found in 14 fresh oranges. In addition to being found in citrus fruits, vitamin C is found in peppers, strawberries, blackcurrants, broccoli, sprouts and potatoes.
AKA the sunshine vitamin is found in oily fish, red meat and egg yolks. It’s recommended to supplement with vitamin D supplement daily to ensure good mid-range levels are maintained.
Your hair care questions answered:
How often should I wash my hair?
Trichologists advise washing your hair every day or perhaps every other day; however, if you are lucky enough to have a balanced scalp and normal hair, you might only need to wash it every 3 days! You know your own hair best and should wash it as necessary, but no less frequently than once every three days.
Which shampoo should I use and why?
- Always select a shampoo to suit your hair type and styling needs
- Volumising shampoos are often formulated with added proteins to add cosmetic volume
- If your hair is dry and/or coarse and dry, look for shampoo formulated with coconut oil and glycerine to optimise your hair’s hydration
- If you suffer with an itchy scalp look for an active ingredient such as Piroctone Olamine to soothe and clear your scalp which reduces shedding and promotes hair growth
- Try to avoid harsh cleaning agents such as SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate). These chemicals can dry your scalp and make your hair brittle while increasing frizz. Look instead for TEA or MEA listed on the ingredients.
How should I use conditioner?
Conditioner is used on the mid-lengths to ends of the hair to smooth and hydrate, giving your hair a silky smooth appearance when dry.
The conditioner should be left in for 3 – 5 minutes to allow it to penetrate. Try not to get the conditioner onto the scalp or roots; generally, these areas do not need a conditioner as your native sebum does the job naturally.
How should I treat wet hair?
- Wet hair is when it’s most fragile and can break very easily
- Always use a wide-tooth comb to comb wet hair ready for styling and drying. Scalp brushes can be very good.
- If you blow-dry your hair, try to use a lower heat setting and don’t ever put the dryer nozzle directly onto your hair. We would also recommend using a heat protector spray.
- As a general hair care tip – remember to get your hair trimmed regularly to take out any split ends and keep the hair looking great from root to tip.
DermaPro® collagen can be supportive in many different ways beyond its obvious anti-ageing skin benefits. DermaPro’s unique amino acid profile, vitamins and minerals can help keep your hair strong and healthy. Combining a good diet with the proper hair care regime will help ensure that it always looks great and feels fabulous.